From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:29:55 -0500
Until 2 weeks ago, I had a 100 foot run of RG213 going to my 2
meter/440 vertical which sat at 60 feet.

On April 15, the final thunderstorm of the day (we must have had 15 or
20 through here at least) became somewhat attracted to that vertical,
transforming it into an inverted L, which doesn't work very well on
either band.

That run of coax is nearly 9 years old, so when we replace the
vertical, I may replace it with either 9913 or LMR400 if the present
coax turns out to be damaged.

I think it was wind, not lightning that got the vertical. It is one of
those fiberglass covered antennas which will usually vaporize when
struck by lightning.

I think this one just got old and tired. It had already survived
Katrina, which came through here at 75 MPH, and a tornado which passed
over my house on its way to nearly level the next block 3 years ago.

Anyway, whether from the lightning strike which came down the phone
and power lines, or from the wind, that antenna is now officially
broken.

Friends are coming over in 2 or 3 weeks to inspect the tri-band and 6
meter beams, then slide them down the tower in order to replace the
vertical.

Mike Duke, K5XU