From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 14:09:06 -0600
WD40 is probably the all time worst cleaner/lubricant you can use for
electronics.
for a couple reasons.
Firstly, WD40 is petrolium bassed, which means it'll break down plastic.  In
modern pots, there is quite a bit of plastic and other soft material
components that will decay with wd40.  Also, wd40 is conductive and can
short pots, especially when there is significant voltage or current flowing
through the pot.
Secondly, wd40 tends to evaperate rather quickly, and dry up, leaving a
nasty sticky film, and as butch says, it will attract dust and dirt and
other nasties like a magnet.
It can actually bind up a pot and cause dead spots on the pot.  Unless the
pot is moved all the time that is, which  it isn't in most applications.

Contact cleaner, the kind that is a solvant and that removes greace, oil,
and anything else on metal is good for basic cleaning of the wipers and
other components in a pot, but you have to refill the pot with a lubricant
usually to keep the wiper from waring out.
I love contact cleaner for lots of audio and electronics pots, but I also
use non-conductive greace or oil after I'm done to give the pot a nice
smooth feel again...other wise, the wiper will decay over time and you'll
end up with a totally dead component because there is no lubrication along
the sweep of the wiper.

just my 5 bucks worth hi hi.

73
Colin, V A6BKX