From:
Mike Keithley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 21:17:55 -0800
I cleaned up that subject line, sorry.

I still have the antenna but don't use it now. A friend and Handiham volunteer helped me install 1 70-foot long wire outside the mobile home with an SGC234 remote autotuner at the feedpoint and the grounded to the house. There's annoying noise from power lines across the freeway (about half a mile away), but the system isn't bad. I copied W1Aw at S7 from Mountain View California on 80 for about 30 minutes.

The way I tuned the budipole was to slide the bananna plug from the center end of a coil toward its whip end and listened for a peak in noise. When I found a peak I'd dip the tap plug into the coil turns and tightened it. Then I'd do the other side the same way.  With the balun, the 1:1 setting worked most of the time. The autotuner in my TS440 would achieve a match, but I never knew if I was getting output. I found out that the match the tuner made wasn't 1:1, and the SWR was often higher then 1:3, where the rig wouldn't deliver much output. For the new system, we made an RF output monitor so I could be sure the SGC234 was finished tuning. For a frequency not in its memory, it sometimes took as much as ten seconds to settle down.