From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:06:05 -0800
THanks much.  I got the 897d last night, and it is a reasonably small
and light radio.  I can tell you after owning radios that at least spoke
the frequency for many many years, this is strange!!  Took me forever to
find 40 meters this morning just to do some listening, and finally
figured out I had the antenna on the wrong jack, no wonder I thought the
radio was dead!!!

They do make a remote mike for this thing, and as I read it, I think you
can enter frequencies with that.  There are also 3 definable function
keys as I read the manual.  It is a strange radio.  The menus do seem to
beep at the first one, but the function key just seems to go round and
round.  If anyone else on this list has one of these I'd be interested
on how you do some of this stuff.  The function key works with an a b
and c key and these 3 keys do a different thing depending on which of
the  17 function modes you have selected, such as noise blanker, digital
mode, memory and so forth.  I'll probably buy the remote mike if I
decide to keep the thing, and I'm not sure what I'd be able to afford to
replace it with.  Could sell it I suppose and keep the dough, but who
wants to give up a radio?

73
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr