From:
don bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 22:19:55 -0800
I've been following this thread since it came up yesterday.  Seems to me
the bottom line here is "accessability".
The problem is there's no agreed upon definition of accessible.
Personally, I'm willing to trade some accessability for performance.  In
other words, if a radio doesn't perform very well when compared to
others, I really don't want it no matter how accessible the thing may be.

If a radio works really well and does what I want it to do from a
performance standpoint, I'll go out of my way to learn how to use the
thing even if it requires some creativity in making it accessible.  I'd
use a pc program if necessary to set the basic settings of the radio
which don't need changing very often.

Sure, full speech readout is great, but it simply isn't available on
many radios in the real world.

So, there's a choice to be made, and it really gets down to being a
personal one.  I certainly don't fault anyone who insists on full speech
readout as apparently several of the Kenwoods have, but there are
obviously other options if you like a particular radio enough.  Lloyd
and his ft950 is a perfect example of that.   He found a system which
works for him and that's what it really is all about.

But, back to my main point of accessibility, I don't think this will
ever be really defined and will always mean different things to
different people.

that's what makes the world go round I guess.  <smile>

Don  w6smb