From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2010 17:17:09 -0600
it's a perspective thing.
you can still put conventional frequencies into channels.
trunk systems have never been set up as "channels" anyway.  You enter all
the freqs into the scanner as a system, then you listen to talk groups,
which are like channels.
even on the BC 396T, you can likely get into conventional mode and
physically find the frequencies that are programmed for the trunk systems.
In my scanner, the bc245XLT, once you program a trunk system into a specific
bank, you can take the scanner out of trunk mode and manually step through
the frequencies which are put into the bank starting on the first channel of
the bank.
the 396T is nice because you only need to program the control frequencies
into the bank or system.  the scanner will get all frequency information
from the control channel and therefore doesn't need to take up memory, or
cpu time to scan through the stored system frequencies to find where the
next transmission will be.
with modern scanners like the 396T, its probably even easier to program
trunk systems.
Likely you only need to choose the system type, which bank you want it in,
and enter the control frequencies in order.
older scanners required several steps to program say an EDACS system.
no, the 396T doesn't talk, has minimal beep or audio feedback, but again,
follow the manual or cheat sheet, and it's not so difficult.
73
Colin, V A6BKX