VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2011 09:59:25 -0800
7bit
Sender:
From:
Not only do libraries buy their own copies of books but they usually also
pay more than hardcover prices to get library bindings, which stand more
wear and tear than the average book. Some sighted friends of mine have
checked out books within a couple of weeks of the release dates. If there's
a waiting list for the title, it generally starts moving the day the book
goes on the market.

About the human vs. electronic voice controversy, I prefer human voices for
pleasure reading and electronic voices (Eloquence being my favorite) for
content/work related reading. I suspect this is a common distinction. I
sometimes work as an English teacher. When I'm reading a novel or book of
poems for the first time, I'd rather have a person read it, and hearing that
voice is part of my drafting process when I write. When I'm rereading a book
for teaching purposes, I prefer both the convenience of being able to find
specific passages in electronic copies, etc., and the nutral reading of the
text. I also know I have finished a piece of writing when I don't notice
that a synthetic voice is reading it.

finally, about libraries in general, I think they're as vital and as
necessary as police departments and fire stations. they're repositories of
information, and having access to them is part of our right to free speech,
openness in society, and access to education. People who are lucky enough
not to use them regularly are priveleged indeed. I'm not on a fixed income.
Still, I spend a lot of money on books and other types of research, and I'm
very glad to know I can access more information than I can afford through
libraries of different types.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]