VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 23:36:02 -0000
7bit
Sender:
From:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
your perception of what libraries are may be at odds with the present
reality in many parts of the world. You mean to describe what you think
will happen to public libraries, and it is important to say that, since
there will always exist 'private' or institutional libraries. Now, think
virtual libraries. Public libraries, too, at least in my part of the
world, as well as storing and lending out books in physical form, are
embracing technology. There are a considerable number of people who
access computers in the public library, who don't have their own. There
are a great many books that will never be made available in audio, or
electronically (despite the best efforts of Google; because of copyright
holders' resistance): the fact that books are electronically published
doesn't mean that they are automatically made accessible: and people
here may be forgetting braille, literacy, and the need for them, both.
Now I'll leave you with this thought: Without 'libraries', there is no
future for 'books' as such, and please note the quotation marks.