Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:55:52 -0500
From:
Jim Antonacci <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
The G5RV antenna is based on a design first initiated by Collins for
military communications.  It is based on a 3/2 (three-halves) wavelength
dipole for 20 meters and fed with a quarter wave of high impedance line
(multiplied by the proper velocity factor) for that same frequency on 20
meters.  This makes it long for 40 meters but tunable and short but tunable
for 80 meters.  For frequencies higher than 20 meters, most of the radiation
comes from the matching section as if it were a vertical with a top hat.
Therefore, if you were to short the ends together it would not want to work
on 20.  however, it could act as a folded dipole for 30 meters.  As to
keeping it up, remember to suspend the middle and use wire for the legs that
are strong enough to take the ice loading.  Then there is the axiom of the
stations in the northeast - "If it survives the icy New England winter, it
probably wasn't big enough."  If you have the ability to get the antenna
outside, the most important thing to remember is to get it as high as you
can and as clear as you can and as well-insulated from ground as possible.

Hope this helps.

Jim/WA3EHD