Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:45:11 -0400
7bit
Sender:
From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Below is preliminary user interface and accessibility info for the kx3.
Got this from the man himself.

From: Wayne Burdick <[log in to unmask]>
Date: June 16, 2011 3:42:46 PM EDT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [KX3] for Wayne, VI hams and kx3

Gary Lee wrote:

>> What about physical control layout? has this been decided?

Yes. We already have enclosures, switches, LCD, knobs, etc., all fabricated.

>> If so, do you have a general description of tthe ui?  That will give
>> me something to think on.

What follows below is a general description intended for blind
operators. It will be expanded to become part of the owner's manual.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

OVERVIEW

The enclosure, not counting knobs, etc., is 1.7" high, 3.5" deep, and 7.4"
wide.
There are two tilt feet in the rear to optimize the usage angle of the
front panel.

There's one connector on the right side (BNC antenna jack).

There are several barrel-style jacks on the left side, including:

DC IN (9-15 V)
ACC (PC serial I/O and external amp control)
KEY (paddle or hand key, etc.)
PHONES (stereo or mono headphones)
MIC (typically used with our custom MH3 mic, which has PTT and UP/DN
functions)
RX I/Q (audio I/Q signals for use with a PC soundcard)

There's one additional connector, on the front of the enclosure, for
use with the KX3's optional attached keyer paddle (KXPD3). This is a
custom mechanical paddle with adjustable contact spacing.

To the right of the keyer paddle attachment point is a small speaker.  It is
intended for use in a quiet room only. Headphones or external amplified
stereo
speakers will provide a much better operating experience, since the KX3 will
have full audio effects including simulated stereo, pitch mapping, and even
dual watch.

There are 20 switches, each with tap/hold functions. There are five
rotary encoders (with knobs), one of which is a high-resolution
optical encoder (VFO A). The four lower-resolution encoders all have
built-in pushbutton switch functions of their own.

The switches will have either no tone feedback, simple tone feedback like
the
K3, or full CW feedback like the KX1 (user selection in the menu). If the
latter is selected, then the VFO and knobs will also have CW feedback.

SWITCH FUNCTIONS

At the far left is a column of six switches. Their tap/hold functions are:

BAND+ / M>V (memory recall to VFO)
BAND- / V>M (VFO save to memory)
FREQ ENT (direct frequency entry) / SCAN
MSG PLAY / MSG REC
ATU TUNE / ANT SELECT
XMIT / TUNE

There are six switches along the bottom left part of the enclosure,
just to the right of the XMIT / TUNE switch. Their functions are:

PRE / NR
ATTN / NB
APF (audio peaking filter) / NOTCH
SPOT / CWT (CW/data tuning aid)
CMP (speech compression) / PITCH (sidetone in CW mode, Fc for data modes)
DLY (VOX or QSK delay) / VOX (selects VOX or PTT for present mode)

At the far right are two columns of 4 switches each. In each of these
columns, three of the switches are grouped together vertically, but
the fourth switch is farther down, below one of the encoders.

The rightmost column of switches has the following functions:

A/B  (VFO swap) / REVerse (hold to temporarily reverse the VFOs)
A>B  (copy VFO A to B) / SPLIT
XIT / PF2 (programmable function 2)
DISP (special display modes) / MENU

And the column of switches just to the left of that:

MODE / ALT (alternate modes, such as CW REV)
DATA (data submode) / TEXT (text decode)
RIT / PF1
RATE (10/1 Hz) / KHZ (coarse tuning)

KNOB FUNCTIONS

The leftmost rotary encoder is part of an "RX" (receive) controls
group. It is labeled:

AF (AF gain) / RF-SQL (RF gain or squelch, depending on mode)

Tapping the encoder selects either of the above functions (sticky).

Holding the encoder selects a third function -- MON (voice monitor or
sidetone level).

The AF/RF-SQL knob is directly above the PRE/NR and ATTN/NB switches.
When using the NR and NB switches (hold functions), the AF/RF-SQL knob
can be rotated to change the NR or NB level.

The next rotary encoder to the right is also part of the "RX" controls
group. It is labeled:

PBT I/II (passband tuning functions I/II, which are assigned per-mode)

Tapping this switch toggles between WIDTH and SHIFT passband
adjustment, and optionally HI/LO cut for voice modes. Holding this
switch NORMalizes the filter passband for the current mode. For
example, in CW mode, this removes any left/right passband shift and
sets the bandwidth to 400 Hz.

The PBT encoder is directly above the APF/NOTCH and SPOT/CWT switches.
The PBT encoder is used to adjust the manual notch pitch.

The next encoder to the right is part of a "TX" controls group. It is
labeled:

KEYER (keyer speed) / MIC (mic gain)

This encoder's primary function (KEYER or MIC) is mode-dependent.
Holding the encoder allows you to set RF power output (PWR).

The KEYER/MIC encoder is directly above the CMP/PITCH and DLY/VOX
switches, also part of the TX controls group. The KEYER/MIC encoder is
used when adjusting the CMP, PITCH, or DLY parameters.

To the right of this is the VFO A encoder with a large knob.

To the right of this is the last encoder, labeled:

OFS (RIT/XIT offset) / B (VFO B)

Tapping the encoder alternates between OFS and VFO B. Holding it
clears the RIT/XIT offset.

This encoder is used in conjunction with the two right-most switch
columns. Note that it is directly above the two lower switches in
these right-hand columns: RATE/KHZ and DISP/MENU. Tapping DISP
overrides the normal encoder functions (OFS/B) and instead brings up
special information on the VFO B display, including power supply
voltage, current drain, readings from temperature sensors, etc. The
display selection is made by rotating the encoder. If CW feedback is
in effect, the selected information is "displayed" audibly every
couple of seconds until you tap DISP again to turn it off.

MENU ACCESS

If you hold the DISP/MENU switch, the menu comes up. This, too,
overrides the OFS/B functions of the rightmost encoder. It now scrolls
through the menu entries. If CW feedback is enabled, menu entries and
parameters will be sent via CW. If you rotate the OFS/B knob quickly,
the menu read-out will be truncated as required. This should allow you
to quickly converge on the desired menu entry (they are in
alphanumeric order).

Once a menu entry is selected, rotating VFO A will read the parameter
values as they are changed.

(The above behavior is identical to that of the KX1 with CW feedback turned
on.)

There will be a full listing of menu functions in the manual.

NUMERIC KEYPAD

12 of the switches are used as part of a numeric keypad, most often
used to do direct frequency entry:

ENTER = MSG
DECIMAL POINT = ATU TUNE
0 = XMIT
1 = PRE
2 = ATTN
3 = APF
4 = SPOT
5 = CMP
6 = DLY

7, 8, and 9 are entered by tapping the three leftmost encoders:

7 = AF/RF-SQL
8 = PBT I/II
9 = KEYER/MIC

There will be usage examples in the manual.

MESSAGE PLAY / RECORD

There will be at least four message buffers in CW/DATA modes, and two
built-in DVR messages. To record, hold the MSG/REC switch, then tap a
numbered
key (1-4). Enter the CW or voice message, then tap any switch to exit
record.
To play, tap MSG/REC, then 1-4.

MEMORIES and MACROS

These functions will also use the numeric keypad switches. Details are  TBD.