Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 14:19:19 -0500
7bit
From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Mike,

I've been using MMTTY for several years, but only on the rx side and
using my logging program for the TX side.   On both my Kenwood's I
needed to set the  rig's rtty setting to  inverse.  I think what the
JA's consider "normal" is backwards from the rest of the world, but go
figure.   anyway if you got some English text, you must be set right in
the  normal/reverse  area.  And all of this only applies for FSK keying
and not AFSK, which I think you are using..

If I remember right, you are running a Signal Link usb.    If so, this
makes tuning a bit more dificult, but not  impossible.   The key is to
narrow the filter and slowly tune across a transmitting station.   When
the voice starts  giving you good text instead of garbage, you've got
it.    It takes a bit of practice and you will get an ear for it.

My TS-2000 is set up to run true FSK with a Rascal interface.   I can
tighten the filter way down and make it easier to tune a signal.   I
also have a signal link usb on the TS-480, but the Signal link doesn't
do FSK.   It only does AFSK, where the sound card makes the tones.
Problem here is that the rig is in SSB and you are limited  to the SSB
filtering which is not as tight as the FSK filter.

I ran the 480/signal link combo in one of the RTTY contests a few months
ago.  It required more effort on my part compared to using the 2000 in
FSK, but I got the hang of it after some trial and error.

Lot's of RTTY on today with the WPX contest.  Pick a strong station and
tune very slowly  across the signal and go back a bit if you have to,
remember there is a little bit of lag time so it is easy to overshoot
the target.

73, Steve  KW3A