From:
Charles E Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles E Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:45:25 -0400

5.0 Palms 	Celebrity Summit Cruise Ship
Review Type: 	Cruise
Location: 	This cruise was in the Southern Caribbean, but Celebrity offers itineraries around the world
Phone:

(800) 647-2251 and 800-722-5472 x34492 for special dietary requests
Website: 	http://www.celebritycruises.com
Trip Type: 	Vacation with adults
Date Traveled: 	January 2010
Review Posted: 	January 26, 2010

The Best Gluten-Free Vacation Ever -- Celebrity Summit Cruise...

Celebrity Cruise Lines is great for gluten free dining and travel I recently took a trip to the Southern Caribbean on Celebrity Cruise lines, and I must say it was the easiest vacation ever. My boyfriend and I had a suite, and after asking our butler, he brought gluten free toast for me every morning. When ordering room service, they would prepare a turkey club for me on gluten free bread. In the main dining room they would allow me to see the menu for the next day and pick what I would like to eat for the following night. They would then make it gluten free so I was able to enjoy the same menu as everyone else. The chef would also prepare a special "gluten free" dessert for me.

We filled out a form prior to arriving at the ship and met with the dining staff on our first night there. They were able to provide interesting and delicious gluten free food for me every single evening. Most of the dinners included an appetizer, soup/salad, main course, and dessert. The staff was even able to prepare soup gluten free which is a rare treat for me. Every meal was started off with me receiving gluten free bread so I could enjoy bread with the rest of the table. It made me feel not so out of place. It was nice to already have my meal picked out for the following evening so I didn't have to worry all day about what I was going to eat for dinner.

The best thing I probably had to eat was the seafood Gluten Free Meal on the Celebrity Summit Cruise Shiprisotto, strawberry soup, and of course creme brulee. On the last night there they prepared crustless cheesecake and it was amazing!  For in between meals I would recommend maybe doing room service because it was the safest bet. They had an amazing salad with oranges and avocados and they also have a fruit plate with either yogurt or cottage cheese. There is also a place by the buffet where you can get ice cream (if you are lucky like me and can have dairy) and I didn't have any issues with cross contamination here. There is also a buffet open during the day by the aquaspa that has a healthier menu and they offer all types of fruits and yogurt.

Dining gluten-free onboard Celebrity Cruise line at night there is a buffet usually located on the pool deck, and one night they do offer a fruit themed type of night. They even had more creme brulee and fruit and it was awesome. There were so many options for gluten free that not once was I hungry.

After a disaster trip to Mexico where I spent the entire trip "gluten sick," I was so happy to finally have a way to enjoy a vacation without worrying about being sick.

My only advice would be to avoid the buffet. I believe there was a lot of cross- contamination here because it was the only time I felt sick. I would highly recommend this cruise line to anyone who has a serious gluten intolerance/allergy. My boyfriend and I were both extremely impressed with the amount of attention and care the staff took to ensure my meals were safe to eat.

Once you've booked your cruise, email the Special Needs department or call them at 800-722-5472 x34492 to talk about your dietary requests.

For more reviews of gluten-free cruise experiences, visit our Caribbean review page.
(I have not been on this particular ship)
Charles in SC

*******
*******