From:
Jill Eisenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jill Eisenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:30:09 -0400

Thank you again to all that took the time to reply.  Below is the summary of
what I received.
Thanks again,
Jill

I can't speak to Malarone (sorry!), but I just got back from Haiti and was
taking chloroquine (which was GF). Just wanted to let you know in case
Malarone doesn't work out. However, I know some meds are given for
particular strains of malaria, so you may have to check and make sure
chloroquine is effective in the areas in Africa you are going to

I used it (Malarone) last year after confirming it's GF.  It was and it was
not a problem for me

Try www.glutenfreedrugs.com.  If it is not there, email the pharmacist on
that site. steve is very helpful. Also, bob levy from bob and ruths gluten
free travel and dining club have been to Africa several times, and he may be
able to advise you. They have a trip coming up. Wish I could go. They post
to the Listserv.

I've been on Malarone for the better part of two years to treat a tick-borne
disease and it is definitely GF.  I'm an extremely sensitive celiac and have
had no problems with it whatsoever.  Whatever symptoms you might experience
from it will not be due to gluten contamination.   I have my tTg blood
levels tested at least once a year and they have remained at 0 since I
started taking it.
This is a brand name drug and there are no generics.  There is sodium starch
glycolate in the tablet, but the source is either corn, potato, or wood.
Have a great time in Africa and don't worry about taking the Malarone :)

Took Malarone 2 years ago when I went to Africa and another time when I went
to Vietman and did not have a problem