C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 10:19:01 -0600
John,

As someone without children, but who was homeschooled for part of my high
school career, I encourage staying in schools as much as possible for the
socialization aspects.  I missed out on a lot in my sophomore and junior
years in high school because I wasn't able to interact as well with my
teachers and peers.  I wasn't on a specific homeschool curriculum, though.
I was doing what was termed "homebound instruction (HI)," because I spent 4
months of my sophomore year and 5 months of my junior year in the hospital
and recovering at home.  HI is basically picking up the assignments and
lecture notes from regular classroom teachers and doing the work at home,
with an assigned tutor from the school district.

When I got into the University, a classmate had gone through her entire
school career until then on HI, and felt that she'd missed out on a lot.
She then tried to make up for it in college, with some "interesting"
results.

Your school district can also provide a one on one aid for your daughter as
part of her IEP.  I understand from the previous conversation with you and
Virginia that Idaho schools are having budgetary woes, but a "free and
appropriate public education" is the law, so if neccessary, you can push it.

--

Kendall

depends on the unreasonable man.

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950