From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:15:27 -0700
well interestingly enough, I managed to convince a CB'er, very recently, to
go get his ham ticket.
I flashed up my old uniden grant one saturday morning about a month and
ahalf ago because the US dx was pounding in here louder than local truckers
half a mile away.
I got on ch38 USB and started talking to a couple locals who were on bass
stations.  I recognized one of them from the old days and we started
chatting.  We went and found a clear frequency and discussed amateur radio
for about two hours.
I told him how easy it was to get a ham license and what to do to get study
materials and so on.
Literally 2 weeks later I was at an evening coffee gathering of hams after a
club meeting.  This guy was there.  I didn't know it until he actually left
and we asked who he was.  He was sitting at a different table so our table
didn't know who he was.
When I recognized the name and voice, I was thrilled.
I'm not sure if he already planned on getting his license before we spoke on
the chicken band, or if I just helped him decide.
either way it was pretty cool.
regards
Colin