From:
Deborah Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2012 18:51:08 -0500

Thank you for your responses to the question regarding celiac disease, dental implants and taking fosamax.  As always this list is a great source of information!
Below is a summary of the responses I received.  Many people had the same concerns and wanted to see what folks had to say.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Complete success here!

I took Actonel for several years and then had 3 implants.  After 6 months the periodontist pulled the plug on the last tooth - she said after 6 months my jaw wasn't healing.  She asked if I were taking a biophosphonate (Actonel and Fosomax are such).  She told me to stop immediately.  I've been taking Miacalcin since (you squirt it in your nose - it's made from salmon bones).  My last bone density test showed I now have osteopenia rather that osteoporosis.  I'm really sorry I ever took Actionel.

I had taken Actonel for years (no longer do) and had four dental implants
about seven years ago.  They are fine.  Your dentist is the best one to
assess the strength of your jaw bone as, even with severe osteoporosis, it
seems that the jaw - maybe from the constant exercise - is in better shape
than the thigh bones.

I had bone grafts with two, but all that means is that the oral surgeon
packed the area with this cotton-like material made up of bone fibers from
cadavers.  It added no pain and little expense or time to the procedure.
BTW, I had a tooth extracted, an implant inserted and then went shopping the
same day.  For two other implants, I had them inserted on a Monday, went for
a recheck on Thursday and then drove (by myself) cross country - 2,000 +
miles - on Friday.  In other words, it's no big deal except to your
checkbook.  :-)

I took Fosomax for only 7 months 3 years ago and still my dentist will not pull my teeth.

Are you referring to crowns that are put in after root canals as a tooth implant?  If so, I have a crown as I broke an incisor tooth figure skating – it was a root canal and then crown put on and I have had no problems with it or the process that they did to create the tooth.  I was diagnosed 29 years ago and it was done about 20 years ago and I have had no problems with it since either.  I know that some people can have problems with root canals when they do not fully kill the root or the person has 2 roots, however I think that is separate from CD.  The products that they use to create the tooth are gluten free.

I have had for years problems with dentist anaesthetic, and I have had 2 cavities filled without freezing, however I would not recommend that for having a root canal/crown put on.  I made it through the anaesthetic process for the killing of the root just fine, however a different doctor had to be called in to do the anaesthetic and to monitor me.  Some Celiacs I find have problems with some of the anaesthetics used, especially in the past, however my issue has to do with another medical problem.

I was told to go off fosomax for a year and then they would see if they can do the implant. My year is up in March and I'll see what they say then. I hope there is no problem with getting the implant since the alternative is to do nothing.

?
The place to look really is not so much celiacs, but rather at clotting disorders.  In my family, one grandfather and both his parents died of heart attacks.  A cousin on that side developed blood clots on the Pill at age 16 and was told she could never take it again.  That's either Leiden Factor V or Thrombophilia.  She has an autistic child, a girl, which is very unusual, and that tends to involve Thrombophilia, 85% of them anyway.  Also look for people who had root canals go bad or lost teeth after dentists messed with them, and miscarriages, and necrosis of the femoral head in the old people. If you suspect you have it, have your dentist put "No epi" on your chart. You are more likely to lose a tooth if you have excess clotting combined with epinephrine keeping out the blood supply.

I never took either drug, but could not have a tooth emplant because the Celiac had eaten away at my jawbone over the years.