From:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:48:25 -0700

Dear Listmates -
When I ran into problems with enzymes, because I thought the current labeling laws require clearing stating if a product contains gluten I was wrong, here is what I found out:

One manufacturer of enzyme capsules says the only allergens they are required by law to declare are soy and shellfish. That is why the maltase in the CompleteGest by Enzymatic Therapy did not say anything after the word maltase (not that I would ever eat malt, but it is simply one of many enzymes on the list of ingredients).

While some manufacturers say "Does Not Contain" or "Free of" or "Free from," I was told they are not required by law to do so. That is why Doctor's Best vegetarian Best Enzymes caps are gluten-free (I called), but they don't have to say so, though it would be financially advantageous for them to put it on the bottle (more sales).

So that sticks us with checking with the manufacturer, not just the first time we buy it, but repeatedly, in many or most cases. This is true for vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and other supplements.

Vicki in Illinois

*******
*******