From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 13:06:02 -0400

THESE ARE CUT AND PASTE QUOTES. DUPLICATES WERE OMITTED. THERE WERE QUITE A FEW PEOPLE WHO SAID THEY STOPPED USING FOOD FOR LIFE WRAPS, BECAUSE THEY FELL APART LIKE MINE.  I'LL SEND ANOTHER EMAIL WITH SOME RECIPES I GOT. THIS IS FROM THE LISTMATES....THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
LIN

They roll better after 10-15 secs in the microwave, but need to be eaten immediately so they don't fall apart. If you want a wrap that doesn't break easily, you'll need to go for the Sonoma teff wraps.

I always have a pack of these in the freezer for sandwiches. I keep them frozen until I am ready to use one. I microwave it for about
15-20 seconds so it is thawed and pliable, but not hot. I put my sandwich fillings on it and depending on how long that took I can
either roll it right away, or give it another 10-ish seconds in the microwave to re-soften it. Then I roll it up and either eat
immediately or wrap in saran for later. I don't find them brittle or end up eating my sandwich with a fork, so I would give them another
try if I were you.

I find some packages better than others. I think it has to do with too many freeze-thaw cycles when I get a brittle pack, but sometimes you
don't know what happens during delivery and storage at the store, so it's a gamble.

I have made bread, lightly toasted it, and brought it with me for long weekend trips. That's worked well so far, but still
not prefect or great.   They do defrost quickly and I know what you mean about thawing out on
your way home. I find that also makes the paper dividers stick to themand make them hard to get out of the bag. A good package usually
doesn't have paper and wraps stuck together.

My husband uses these at home. He heats them in the microwave and uses them immediately. He has never taken them anywhere cold. That maybe the difference.

 mine holds together b/c I start with a layer of mayo, add shredded cheese and chicken, I heat in microwave
for about a minute, add  my cold items, such as shredded lettuce and roll up right away. It almost

I think maybe too many of your ingredients have high water content(guac, tomato, and lettuce) and made mush of the wrap.  Perhaps if the wrap was eaten sooner this wouldn't have happened...you could test that out.   I make ham and cheese wraps, wrap them in plastic wrap and take them on trips and they do fine.  They make a good pizza crust, too.

They are stiff and they do fall apart at times.  I run it under water and nuke them for a few seconds  on each side and that will soften the up some but then it is damp.  But it is still hard to use as a wrap.  I bought some tapioca wraps/ tortillas that worked better but I don't remember the brand.  It is
going to be hard to find a gf wrap because the elasticity of wheat makes those lovely soft wraps  everybody eats.

I find that they get crumbly when they get dried out, which is why I usually eat  them right after defrosting. If you're home, I recommend microwaving them for 6
to 8 seconds on a plate with a little water underneath (or no water if they're  still frozen).

You might be able to take them for a picnic if you keep them stuck to the paper  that helps keep the moisture in and then wrap it around the filling when you're
ready to eat.

I discovered the excellent wraps by LaTortilla Factory (Ivory Teff Wraps) and can't wait to try their new all natural gf wraps when Whole Foods in our region gets them. The regular gf wraps don't fall apart. Another great option is the wraps by Sandwich Petals. Google either name to find their websites.

The only thing those wraps are good for is quesadillas, where the cheese glues the bits together. You can add the chicken and tomato to the inside, and then dip them into guac.

 Not a suggestion on the wraps but if you buy a package of the hard corn taco shells, wrap them in a wet paper towel they will soften up so you can use them as a wrap.  I usually buy the folded in half kind, and when I am ready to eat, I slip my sandwich makings inside.
I have not checked with the brand I use for seven months so I will not tell you what I use. In that amount of time the ingredients can change. I call before we leave on vacation every year to be sure that the ingredients or method of making them has not changed. There are too many places in the areas that we camp in where there is nothing I can buy so I always make sure I have some along.
You can of course microwave them with the wet paper towel but as I use them when we are tent camping that is out for me.