ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Doris and Chris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:44:51 -0400
.rar is another compressed archive  type file just like but not the
same as zip. .rar achieves higher compression and therefore smaler file sizes.

Higher compression ratios doesn't matter much when attempting to
compress the already compressed mp3's of the audio bible. IN fact, I
packed this archive using "store", i.e. no compression".  I used
Winrar to create the multipart split archive to be able to feed
sendspace the Bible despite sendspace's 300-meg-per-upload file size limit.

That's a longwinded answer but explains what .rar" files are, I hope,
and why I chose .rar to compress and archive rather than .zip.

"Winrar" is the software that I used to create the archive and this
is also what can be used to extract .rar archives. Winrar is
accessible and I have u used it for many years. However, my favorite
program to extract .rar and many other archives is called 7-zip" .
7-zip is free open source software and is completely accessible and
easy and intuitive to use. Another plus for 7-zip is that it does not
take over any file type associations when installed. i have and use
Winrar to package up archives occasionally but use 7-zip for
unpacking archives myself. this is for one because i find it easier
to use and then also because I try to use open source software over
commercial packages when open source does the same and is as
accessible. 7-zip is not just equal to other decompression programs
but IMO better. 7-zip is actually able to create multipart split
archives itself but more people seem familiar with .rar than 7-zip's
native 7.7.z archive types.

7-zip is available from

http://www.7-zip.org/

Ok, now for what to do to actually get to your Bible.

1. head over to

http://www.7-zip.org/

to download 7-zip and then install it to your computer. the defaults
are fine for doing this. It will not take over any file
associations  and not set itself as default except for its own native
.7z format

2. If you have not already done so, download the archive files from sendspace.

you can extract the New testament whereever you have downloaded it
to. The New Testament is a rar archive of its own  (not part of the
3-part multipart archive of the OT) and can/needs to be extracted on its own.

The Old Testament, however, comes as a 3-part multipart archive and
you need to have all three parts of this archive in the same folder
in order to extract the Old Testament.

3. IN order to extract the New Testament, right click on it (hit your
context menu/application key (usually found to the left of the right
control key).

Arrow down to the "7-zip" submenu and expand it. Arrow down again to
where it says "extract to" or "extract here" (the former lets you
choose where to put the extracted files while the latter will extract
the archive's content to the same folder the archive is in.) and hit
"enter' on your choice.

4. Now for extracting the 3-part archive that makes up the old
testament, make sure all three parts of the multipart archive of the
OT are in the same folder.

Now right click (context menu/application key) on part 1 of the
multipart archive, choose the "7-zip" submenu and repeat the steps
described  above just as you did for the New Testament archive. You
only have to click on and extract part 1 of the multipart archive the
remaining parts will extract automatically.

5. Wait patiently while your multipart archive is being extract. this
can take a bit with a larger and/or highly compressed archive.

6. Now enjoy your new shiny audio bible as a reward and give praise
to the Lord for it! - and maybe save this email for future reference. *grin*

While a bit complex in the beginning as you have to remember several
steps for extracting a multipart archive, once you are comfortable
with the process, this is really not hard to do.

So now you have a new audio Bible, have gotten to know a nifty and
free archiving utility and have learned a new computer skill!

Thanks be to God!

I am sending this publically because I thought this might be helpful
not just to Grandpa DOS but to a few others as well.

Take care and God Bless,

Doris