Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:51:10 -0500

Dear Listmates -

I bought a microwave for my office about 6 months ago. The office is shared by 3 supervisors, theoretically nobody else, and should be locked when unoccupied. We had a change of staff, and when the oven started getting disgusting with splashed and baked on food in December, I started the proper steps  so I wouldn't have to scrub and "de-contaminate" it every day. Nothing worked. Then I went to a birthday party at my niece's house and was down with an accidental contamination from using her microwave. I bought a padlock the next day, locking & covering my oven at work.
This created a major outcry from a bunch of people who had no business being in our office! They complained to the human resources department. HR came to visit, and when I explained the situation the HR director informed the complainers that I have "food allergies"  (no splitting hairs over intolerance vs allergy!), it's a matter of a minimal workplace adjustment so I won't have to miss work, and that's that. (I stash my toaster in a gym bag on a high shelf, and nobody ever complained about that.)

After processing the astonishment that people have such unbelievable chutzpah that they would complain that I locked MY microwave, I realized that this is, in a small way, an example of the intent of the ADA if not exactly full-blown application of the law. Also, a lesson that contamination can come from the oddest places.....

Stay safe, stay healthy!

Kathy
Middletown, CT