From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 15:30:53 -0500
Mike,

Ive gone down the same road  with PSK.  There are a multitude of
programs out there and maybe someone will find one that really works
well.  So far, Digipan is the one that kind of works kind of the best.
  For me, it's just not worth the effort.   My digital mode of choice is
RTTY.  The free MMTTY software works pretty good for decoding.   While
it also transmitts, I prefer to use the TX function in my logging
software.  Just personal preference.

You've mentioned "digital cw" a couple of times, and I really don't know
what you mean.    Most of the cw software hard keys the rig in cw mode
using an interface to the pc.   Not sure if the unit you are buying
allows this keying.

  There are a few programs out there that use the sound card in the pc
to generate audio tones for cw.    I think Hamscope is one such program.
  The rig is  in SSB mode and cw is sent as audio tones.  Not sure if
this is  what you mean by digital cw.

One program called CWget allows  the computer to  copy and display
incoming cw signals as text.    It used to work with JAWS and windows
98, but haven't played with it in years.  Also CWtype is the companion
program for sending CW by keying the radio in cw mode.

Hope this helps a little bit,
73, Steve KW3A