VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 08:34:07 +0000
If you wish to simply run NVDA by plugging in a USB drive, the following is an option.  I've quoted the link to the full article, but also copied the relevant section relating to this option.

U3 flash drives are usually around the same prices as standard UEB flash drives (At least they are in the UK), but well worth it if you want to run a program from the flash drive.

George.

http://www.samlogic.net/articles/autorun-usb-flash-drive-windows-7.htm

Is there no way in Windows 7 to autorun a program on a USB flash drive?

There is no general way to automatically run a program on a USB Flash drive in a Windows 7 system, or add an option to the AutoPlay dialog box; but in some circumstances one of the following techniques can be used:

- Use a U3 smart drive (or similar). These USB drives have a built-in firmware that presents them as CD drive when they are inserted into a computer. These kinds of USB flash drives are not affected by the changes in Windows 7. Autorun will work as it was a CD. U3 smart drives are primarily used to run programs directly from the USB flash drive and are generally not used to install programs. If you only need to run a program locally, and don't need to install, a U3 smart drive can be an option. But if you need to install files or update settings in the operating system (for example in the Registry) a U3 smart drive can not be used. The basic idea of U3 technology is that when the drive is removed from the host computer, there should be no traces left in that computer.