VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Tevelde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Tevelde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:45:35 -0500
Hi Jeff,
I hope I can answer some of your questions.  I use a Braille display with my iPhone all the time.  In fact, I'm doing that right now.  If you want to get a Braille display for your phone you will have to think about the size of the display you want, the number of cells, and what you can afford.  I personally use a refreshabraille display which has 18 cells.  You can get it  from the American Printing House for the Blind.  There are other displays  from HumanWare, Baum, and Freedom Scientific in various sizes from 12 cells to 80 cells.  There are probaly more displays but I can't think of their names.  No matter what  display you use, you will need to configure it with the phone and learn the commands.  There is a chapter in the  Apple user  manual for the  iPhone  about Braille but I didn't find it very helpful.  It takes some work   to get a display set  up and working.
There are also some quirks with Grade Two back translation.  I also find that sometimes cursor routing doesn't work.  If you are willing to put up with the limitations, then getting a braille display for your phone might be a good idea.  Once you set it up you can use it with the phone almost anywhere.  I would be glad to help if you have more questions just send me an e-mail.

Thanks,
Dan

Sent from my iPhone