VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Michael D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael D.
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:07:10 -0700
Hello List,
One item that I haven't seen mentioned is the processor type.  I have moved
up to a Dual Core processor.  One can get a Quad Core, but unless one needs
a very high level processor, it will not be worth the cost.  One other thing
to check on is What is the maximum ram that the motherboard can support.  If
the motherboard will only support 4 GB, then it can't be upgraded to 8 GB.
Another item is that changing the ram later may VOID the manufacturer
Warranty.  Just something to think about.  As is noted below in the email to
Deborah, doing some research on the Web and asking questions until you
understand what will be best for you is the biggest cost saving measure that
can be done.  Finding a computer that will do what you need today and next
year is a critical element in the decision.  I can't afford to buy a
computer today and then in six months to find out that it doesn't do what I
need, so another computer would be needed.  Foresight is a key
consideration.

I would definitely go with a laptop.  Desktops are on their way out, as the
laptops have become just as powerful.  There a lot of good brands available.
I have purchased Dell computers for many years.  The VA is using the HP
computers, so I will be researching HP the next time I need a computer.
Windows 7 is fun to get started with, but there is a setting in JAWS that
will bypass the Ribbons so that is not an issue.  I would go with the  64
bit version.  It will still run 32 bit programs.  The cost is always a major
factor, but think about what you may need next month, next year.  One key
element to really think about is getting a 2 year warranty at minimum.  I
would also suggest at least 4 GB ram if not 8 GB.  The most cost saving
thing that you can do is go through the websites for the different
manufactures and then ask questions until you understand what will be best
for you.  Each of us have different needs and requirements, so what works
well for one, may be overkill or very lacking for someone else.

You may also want to subscribe to the [log in to unmask] group.
I have also found this one to also be very helpful when dealing with Windows
7.  It is a little tighter on subject matter as it is limited to just
Windows 7 related issues.

I will be glad to be of assistance, if I can.  I am not a whiz kid, but I am
a striving protégé. I did months of research before I bought my last
computer.  It does take some work, but the return on your time spent will be
well worth it.