VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 07:18:45 -0500
One of the problems with the "professional consultation" idea is that the
so-called professional will be giving his/her opinion and nothing more --
and probably pocketing a nice fee in the process.
Ultimately, the individual will have to make a decision and, most
importantly, he or she will have to live with that decision -- and not the
so-called professional who offered that opinion.
This is one of those things that there is no exact right or wrong answer,
opinions.  Moreover, if the individual doesn't end up owning both, you
will never know with absolutely certainty which would have been the best
choice for them.
No two of us use technology in the same way,, use applications in the same
way, et al.
Ultimately, Leslie will have to decide for herself which route to go and
she (and none of us) will live with that decision.
And perhaps over time, she may find that both a Netbook and Laptop, along
with a regular desktop, have a place in her life.

This discussion has offered her a lot of perspectives and points to
ponder.  Add to this other experiences she has encountered both from
people she comes in contact with along with other research she may have
done and she will have plenty of insights to balance and consider.

Oh yes, so-called professionals advising may also have vested interests
and biases so I would not place any greater value to their suggestions
lthan to anyone else.  Note that I said "than to anyone else" rather than
to ignore them.  Sure, their advice ought to be considered if offered, but
then again, I wouldn't place any special value to their guidance over that
of average users who routinely use things in ways you or I might.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes
in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
john 3:16 (niv)

 This is how we know what love is:  Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we
ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.
1 john 3:16 (niv)

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]