From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:20:17 -0700
any of the uniden/bearcat/rad shack scanners are exceedingly easy to
program...with the acception of the new touch screen model.
Do you require the ability to trunk track? and if so, what types of systems?
What sort of coin are you looking to spend?  One of the best scanners on the
market right now is the GRE PSR-500 trunk track capable scanner.  It's
receive is top of the line and it's not difficult to program using the
software or direct entry.  they go for between 2 and 300 used, and are
around the $500 mark new I think...
other than that, the newest uniden hand held scanners are pretty good as
well...the 396T I think it is.
also, are you looking to scan mostly VHF/UHF and 800 meg stuff? or are you
looking for HF capability as well.  It's very difficult to find a scanner,
or wide band hand held receiver that will receive HF well, as well as trunk
track and the rest of it...in fact, I'm not sure one is made yet that will
do that.
The Icom line of hand held wide band receivers are great units if you are
looking for HF receive capability.
No scanner on the market, that will trunk track or that is a typical hand
held has voice readout yet either.
In fact, I don't think any hand held receiver has voice readout yet.

There are a tonne of options availible to you depending on what your
requirements are.
regards
Colin