From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:27:31 -0500
Mike,

Does your rig have an RTTY mode?  That might actually work better than CW as
it gives you an even narrower filter.  You are right to think that static
crashes and other things can be interpreted as data, and the RTTY setting
will help eliminate some of the junk.  You may also find that the setting of
your AF gain is a factor, so try moving it up or down a bit.  Also, it may
be helpful to use strong signals if you can, especially until you get the
knack of tuning them in.  Another issue may be the setting of mark/space,
which may be reversed.  I'm not familiar with the program you're using, so I
can't tell you how to fix that, but it's something to check for.  You may be
able to fix it with the radio itself if you have a "reverse" RTTY setting,
which most radios do.

Other than that, I can only tell you that it takes lots of patience to get
this to work, so keep trying, and good luck.

Steve