From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 00:40:42 -0600
an STD? seriously anthony?
far more likely to get one of those from taking a dump in a public washroom
than from a rented apartment and using multi-tennant lawndry facilities.
and a $200,000 to $400,000house is a far cry from a few thousand worth of
ham gear isn't it?

your right to some extent though, it's a good idea to set ones sites on
being a home owner if one has the ability to work and receive enough pay for
that work to even be approved for a morgadge.
probably 80 to 90 percent of my friends who are home owners, not saying that
that percentage of my friends over all are home owners, but that percentage
of those who are, have received assistance in one form or another to get
started with buying a home.  A 20,000 dollar down payment is pretty hefty as
a young person....unless you make very good money, it's hard to save that
much even by the time your 30.
that percentage of friends and aquaintences who have their own homes,
received help from parents.
Not everyone has that option, and there are lots of good people, not well
off people, who are forced to rent most of their lives due to financial
reasons.
Not everyone is in a position to own their own home.
Yes, morgadges are quite often the same or cheaper than renting, but it's
that initial approval and down payment that many people just can't get past.
the days are long gone when the banks would give you a morgadge if you were
simply employed.  You have to be able to prove that you can make those
monthly payments and won't default on the lone.
Too many people have done that in the last 25 years, making it far harder to
become a first time home owner in most places.
That, and in an average canadian or american city, your looking at a
$400,000 plus  morgagdge in most cases for a detached single family
dwelling...the down payment alone on that is 40 grand, and the monthly
payments are almost 2 grand.
Unless your making 25 bucks an hour, it's just not feasible.
I guess if your living in arazona, or michigan right now, you can get allot
better deals and get into houses that people are walkking away from, but
that isn't the case in most other places.
Even if I were able to save 20 grand somehow for a down payment, I wouldn't
get a morgadge because of my employment history, or lack there of.  Even if
I got a job tomorrow, I'd have to work for 5 years before they would even
consider me as an outside possibility.

There was a time, and my dad talks about it still, when a guy who made a
good living, could afford to buy his family a house, and have it payed off
in 25 years.
Now, if you make a good living, your making rent, essential bills,  making
ends meet, have a little bit for some basic recreation on the weekends, and
that's it.

73
Colin, V A6BKX