From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:26:24 -0600
Been hearing lots of w5 and w6 work Japan on 6 meters during evening hours
but tonight, for about five minutes, I actually, with my lowly vertical,
copied, and tried working, my first JA station.  He faded out within about
five minutes for everybody.  A couple of western Colorado friends of mine
had a super opening this weekend and Friday.  One friend worked 50 Europeans
on 6 meters and the other worked 97.  I have yet to hear Europe.  Yes, these
guys have big antennas and amplifiers.  Yes, no matter what anybody tells
you, big power and big antennas makes a big difference even on 6 meters.
Yes, with 3 watts and a nice small beam, such as a home brew 5 element 6
meter beam on a short 12 foot boom, you can work the world because I've done
it.  It isn't nearly as much fun when you can, on the other hand, punch
through because you are running 1500 watts output with a 10 element yagi up
90 feet.  Fortunately, on 6 meters, you can have a 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 element
beam at 30 feet over your roof using a tripod and work the world, too but
when push comes to shove, bigger everything always out does everything else
below it.

Phil.
K0NX