From:
tom behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:28:51 -0600
    Eric:

Having been in the Denver area for almost a year now, I really can't believe
you couldn't hit a single repeater, even from a hotel room with lots of
metal and other sources of RF interference.

Here are my thoughts.

They have a variety of PL tones out here for the many 2-meter and 440
repeaters that are on the air, and I wonder if you simply didn't have the
right tone or tones for what you were looking for.

I don't know of any open repeaters in the Denver area, but I could be wrong
on that, and maybe Chip or Phil can correct me.

Regarding the 440 off-set, as we all know, the standard 440 off-set is plus
5 MHZ.  Well, here in the Denver area, the common off-set on 440 is minus 5
MHZ.  That really took me by surprise too, until I figured it out.

Regarding how to switch the off-set, you are absolutely correct--it is the
A.   or function key, plus the number 8.

I am really sorry I wasn't around to help you when you were here.

As you know, I was in a work-related conference in Puerto Rico all last
week, and didn't get back in here till late last evening.

I know this isn't very helpful now, since you are not in the Denver area any
more, but this is my take on your experience.

73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ, Louisville, CO, about 20 miles northwest of
Denver