From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 20:50:13 -0500

My original questions was:  I am cooking for the first time dairy free
(lactose) for a family member.  I am making a dessert that includes instant
pudding.   Can anyone tell me what you use in place of milk for making
instant pudding?  Would Rice Milk work? Does powdered milk contain lactose?

Thank you for all the replies.  Powder milk does contain lactose.  For
making pudding dairy free, most people recommended Rice Milk, Soy Milk,
Coconut Milk, Almond Milk or Lactaid Milk.  Some people mentioned even
though the Lactaid Milk has the lactose removed they still have some
problems when eating it.  There is also a new blend on the market for
almond/coconut milk.  One person said:  Milk subs do not work with instant
pudding.  The following responses had additional information for those that
are interested.  Everyone else said using a milk substitute would work for
making pudding.

I think you'll get the best pudding consistency with the new blended
coconut/almond milk.  I used this now as my go to cooking milk as the
results are closest to cows.  It has a slight coconut overtone.  For flavor
I prefer almond milk, but had trouble with pudding setting up firmly

I would use almond milk instead of rice milk. Both work in a similar fashion
to lowfat milk (consistency), but almond milk has a sweeter taste which
would enhance the taste of your pudding.

My choice would be either Almond Breeze Almond Milk, or Silk Soy Milk.  But
be careful, because they are virtually fat free, they will burn easily. (If
cooking)

I prefer soy for my milk substitute, my problem is with the protein, not the
lactose, but avoiding milk is still the problem.  I like the taste of soy
milk (plain) better than rice milk, and I think it works better in cooking.

Rice milk tends to be watery, and you want your pudding to thicken.  If you
make cooked pudding, you could try adding an egg yolk like we do when we
make homemade chocolate pudding, or you could add a little starch like
organic (non GMO) corn starch.  But for instant?  Maybe tapioca starch?  If
you can't find that; you can put tapioca granules through a blender or
coffee mill to make a powder.  But that may have to cook  too, I don't know.
The protein in milk thicken but you won't have the protein in rice milk.

I have been dairy free for years.  If a hint of coconut flavor won't hurt
the recipe I use coconut milk, otherwise any gluten free nut milk or rice
milk.  Just read the labels to find one that is gluten free.  I use Thai
Kitchen Organic coconut milk in the 14 oz. cans.  I prefer the coconut milk
for pudding as it makes the pudding less runny.

Try rice milk or try Dari Free Powder, distributed by Vance's Foods, it is
in many health food stores!

Coconut milk works great in most recipes. The canned milk is easy and keeps
for a long time in the cupboard, but the coconut milk that is sold in a milk
carton is good too. The nice thing about coconut milk is that it doesn't
curdle like "real" milk does.

It should work like a charm. The thickeners in the instant pudding can bond
with just about anything.

I am sure you have gotten many responses, but I will add one more.  I am
gluten free and dairy free and have been for over ten years so have lots of
experience in the area.  I do a lot of cooking and baking.

Yes, you can substitute rice milk (or any of the milk alternatives...I
usually use almond , just a personal preference).  You should check to make
sure the pudding mix itself doesn't have any milk product in it.   You
should also check to make sure your family member is lactose intolerant and
not casein intolerant ( I am casein which is the milk

protein while as you know, lactose is the milk sugar).   The best way to

not worry about it is to just avoid all milk products in your meal.  I would
NEVER use powdered milk.  There are too many excellent milk alternatives
available.

If your guest is staying for any length of time, I would also recommend
getting some Earth Balance the best butter alternative I have ever used.

I've used Lactaid brand milk in pudding, also almond milk.  I don't know why
rice milk wouldn't work.  Yes, powdered milk has lactose, but there is
dairy- free powdered milk available.  Vance is one brand, know there is
another but can't think of the name. Probably have to go online to find
them.  Good luck!  (I'm trying a goat cheese cheesecake recipe this weekend
for the first time!)  I had a goat cheese ball rolled in pistachios that was
absolutely delicious, I had no effects from it.

*******
*******