From:
"Barbara H." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara H.
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:42:40 -0400

My orginal post requested information in Punjabi. I am quoting the primary replies to my request but thank you to everyone who provided suggestions including offers of support by telephone to the patient. Due to privacy regulations, I do not know who the patient is.  If this post is not clear or the links do not work, please email me.  I emailed the Facebook CeliacSocietyIndia (and again today) but I have not yet received a reply.
Sincerely
Barbara H. (dx 1981)
S. Okanagan , BC, Canada

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=pa . She could then plug in the sites into the Google Punjabi search bar, & see if that works. [Google Punjabi translation not checked but the Hindi translation worked quite well - see next paragraph].

A good number of Punjabis & their families know Hindi very well. In that case, they can use Google Translation at http://translate.google.com/#auto|hi|
They can put in several lines of text into the Translate box, or a web url. I tried by putting in www.celiaccentral.org, & it does a decent enough job of translating the website. If they put in a couple of lines of text, Google Translate also offers the ability to Listen to the translation, which may be very useful when a person cannot read.

2.) One of the problems I see at the Indian store here in Milwaukee is that many products--naturally g.f. as well as wheat ones,  come from a distributor in Chicago. All have similar packaging & labels, indicating that everything is rebagged there which  increases likelihood of cross-contamination with shared equipment/lines.  Even the various brands direct from seem to have wheat items in their usual product line.  We had a familly who lived near the store  & purchased the rice flour there...When we did blood tests for the U/Maryland prevalence study in 2000, their child had positive antibodies for gluten--Family was careful so I suspect the flour had traces of gluten.
Sorting/washing lentils & other legumes would seem a necessary part of staying g.f. if one was using these products. I'd also avoid the various flours as well as the rice flakes.
Once your celiac has learned/healed enough to get symptoms from accidental exposure, she may be able to figure out which manufactures posed the least risk. (And she would probably have more luck that most of us in getting information on the phone from the companies...)

3.) we are having the same issue ... which has a huge Punjabi population and the cultural issues also with the women diagnosed specifically and continuing to eat gluten due to social pressures. As I remember it, the wife cooks the husband’s food and then is cooking her own GF food and eating alone.  At social events this also was a problem, due to the peer pressure of mass preparing food for the whole event and not necessarily asking what the ingredients are in the food.
Travel Cards in Hindi: http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/18-hindi.html
English translation http://www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html
This website said the same thing [laguages are similar or understood] about Hindi vs. Punjabi too - http://www.fodors.com/community/asia/coeliac-disease---gluten-free-diet.cfm

3.) Facebook - Celiac Society for Delhi (in English) http://www.celiacsocietyindia.com/default.asp?CatId=35
but phone numbers in India are given as well as sources there.