From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:36:21 -0500
I remember reading in Braille Technical Press about how to make
Braille dials using a stylus tied to a string, the other end of which
was anchored to the center of a piece of plastic such as a coffee can
lid.

My attempts at creating them were pretty disastrous, even after Fred
Gassoni reminded me of the technique during a visit to Jackson about
20 years ago.

I forget who made those dials for the Drakes. I saw one T4X that had
been fitted with them, and it was amazing to be able to read the
analogue dials as good as any other ham.

I also once saw a Heath HW16 that a guy had modified with a Braille
dial for his wife. They were trying to sell it after she had upgraded
to General, and did their best to persuade me to buy it. I did not,
because I had already spent my radio budget. I don't know whatever
became of that rig, and I have always wished I had gone ahead and
bought it. Now, of course, I need an HW16, or any other additional rig
for that matter, like I need another hole in my head!

Mike Duke, K5XU