From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:53:27 -0600
lol, rick, your message reminds me a little of american TV drug
commercials...a quarter about the advertising and marketing of the drug, 3
quarters about the possible side effects and complications hi.

anyway, I tend to use 20 meters mostly for any dx...that is mostly to due
with the fact that I usually only have a mono-band antenna set up for 20
meters.
88 countries, and 49 confirmed so far is nothing to sneeze at for only a
year and ahalf on HF and the settup you have.
I think I might have 25 countries at best, and none confirmed, and i've been
on hf for 5 years.
Very well done if I say so myself.
anyway, for european dx on 20, I usually look between 14.190 and 14.260.
I don't know precisely why, or if there are some mutual agreed upon dx
frequencies in there, but I find the europeans tend to stay above 14.200 and
below 14.250.
they don't always, but during contests and when the propigation to the US is
running hot, they tend to stick within that 50K segment of 20M.
I haven't yet figured out a really good way to set the ts2000 to scan or
alert you for scan edges...so that you know when your at the bottom and top
of the scan range.
auto scanning HF is a terribly slow and tedious process...it takes minutes
to scan through 50K of band...if you find you are turning the vfo too fast
and missing things, you could set your tune rate to the fine setting so it
takes more turns to go across the band..or use the tension adjustment and
stiffen the vfo up a bit so it doesn't turn so easily.
have you considered tapping into a dx cluster for your area?
the ts2000 can receive dx cluster information on the sub receiver, and you
can set it to automatically jump to a frequency that has activity.
Sometimes the issue though is that local dx cluster transmitters tend to
have poor filters, so you get dx cluster info for regions well outside your
area.
at least that is the issue here.  There is so much info coming across that
the radio goes into parixisms and madly flips from one frequency to another,
without hearing a single thing.
There is a way to set filters I think in the tnc, or something, but I never
went that far.
anyway, dx cluster info for your region can be very helpful in locating
where the dx is.
If your hunting a band, often you'll miss stations if you go past when they
are listening or when other stations are talking to them that you can't
hear.
others will chime in with more frequencies i'm sure.
73
Colin, V A6BKX