From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 16:45:06 -0600
the CAT5 being used right now is the standard stuff they use for all their
installs.
Probably the cheapest CAT5 they can get since they probably use miles of it
in a month.
I remember in one place they must have run 150 feet of it for 3 different tv
box connections and 3 computer LAN network connections.  it was a smallish
townhouse, but the router/modem was in the basement and they had to run LAN
cabling to all 3 levels.
took 3 hours as I remember...2 of which was used up to figure out the best
method of running cat5 from the basement to the upstairs bedrooms...they
finally got the brilliant idea to run it up the fresh air vent that used a
duct that went from the basement to the top floor...thought they would have
figured that out right away...but they drilled a bunch of holes in walls and
put in jacks before they figured this out.
I wasn't there at the time so I didn't have the opportunity to show them the
easy way first.
I guess I'll have to buy some CAT6 and see if that helps with the noise
issue.

73
Colin, V A6BKX