VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 04:54:38 -0500
Jeff and Listers:

Outlook Express asks you to compact every hundred times that it is opened.
As was said earlier, you really should allow the program to compact messages
to head off the possibility of having your folders corrupted. I compact
every week, which may be overkill, but I'd rather that than to lose
messages.

To Chris, I can't understand what's going on when you are told that "the
folder" is being used by another program". Outlook Express folders are only
used by Outlook Express, and Outlook Express needs to be open in order for
compacting to occur. Perhaps you have a message open; I don't know what the
effect of that would be. I would suggest that you open up your inbox, then
migrate to the "folders" option, then to "compact all folders", and invoke
that. At a minimum, you won't be bothered with the compacting request for
another hundred sessions of Outlook Express.

John