From:
Tom Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:30:37 -0500
Martin, I'm 57 so we're about the same age.  I remember when pretty much nothing
was accessible and the world was all about using readers.  My problem with
things at present is that people get all excited about being able to access
something with their computer rather than directly and that's what we are now
pushing manufacturers to provide.  There are some great exceptions like that
Omnimate bar code reader but more and more what people are telling manufacturers
is "make the computer program accessible.  The standard response that I now get
when talking to manufacturers is "you can access it with our computer" which is
not access and does not comply with the ADA but rather than require that
manufacturers spend $.50 to put a speech chip in something like they've done
with that Hamelton-Beach microwave we're just wanting it computer accessible.
So long as we call that accessible it will never change and we will have
acknowledge ADA or 504 compliance.

Tom

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html