From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 09:40:27 -0400

I was at the (kosher) butcher (at Shop-Rite, Cherry Hill, NJ) yesterday and found small souffles that were very good. (Kugels.) They are gluten-free, dairy-free (pareve), and kosher.

The ones I bought were broccoli souffle, potato souffle (both were good), zucchini, and butternut squash. They also had cauliflower (didn't buy the last one). They also had some other kugels in the case that were not gluten-free, but these were clearly labeled, so watch the packaging.

The "brands" were Classic Cooking or Garden-lites , which had less salt. (I didn't look at the calories or carbs, but they may be lower, too. Sorry. I'm too lazy to go down to the basement freezer to doublecheck.) The box shows they are the same company.

They came in 15oz plastic dishes (microwavable), but I removed them and baked in the oven, because I was already baking chicken.  They claim they are 6 portions in each. I don't think so. I'd say that one kugel is good for 3 people, as a side dish. Since I make two side dishes, the broccoli and the potato ones together would very generously serve 3 or possibly 4 adults. (If you're feeding weight-conscious women, 4 servings per box would work. Three big, hungry  guys...more like 2 or 3 servings per box.  I will say, they are deceivingly filling, despite looking small.

Also, the title says souffle, but although they are very light, they are flat, not fluffy, not fit the image of a pouffy souffle as I know them. However, having done Jewish cooking for over 6 decades, I can say they definitely are what I'd call kugels.

They cost $4.99 each at my butcher, and were in the refrigerator case. (If your neighborhood doesn't have a high turnover of stuff like this, it might be in the freezer.)

I'd highly recommend them. I bought extras to take to my 90 year old mother, because she limits salt, and kugels are easy for her aide to nuke. The Garden-lites have 190mg of salt. The Classic Cooking (same company) have 230mg. Unless you're making kugels from scratch, 190mg, divided into 4 portions isn't a lot, in the scheme of things. I happened to make the saltier ones last night, and they definitely were not salty...and I cook without salt, generally.

Websites for more info www.classic-cooking.com and www.garden-lites.com.

Enjoy.

Lin