From:
Steve Butcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Butcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:23:52 -0500

Sorry if this is a duplicate or triplicate, the ICORS list does not like
long messages or attachments and rejected my emails, so only the summary is
below. If you want the full text of all of the responses, let me know and I
will send them to you as an attachment...

Low Glycemic Bread Summary:

Sorry for taking so long to summarize the answers to this question.  I got a
huge number of responses and they are all very helpful.  Thank you to
everyone who responded!

There seem to be a lot of people interested in this issue.  When first going
gluten free we are always thrilled to find anything we can have, especially
baked goods that are close to the ‘real’ thing.  However, I am not alone in
feeling the effects of eating food made mostly of rice flour and other high
glycemic flours and starches with little to no actual nutritional value.

A couple people asked why I was interested in this.  High glycemic index
foods are things that cause your blood sugar to rise sharply after eating
them, followed by a drastic swing the other direction (think little kid on a
sugar high that suddenly runs out of steam and falls asleep).  These swings
can be unhealthy in both the short and long term.  It happens that most of
the GF replacements like rice flour are high glycemic index - as soon as
these are eaten your body converts them straight into sugar.  Also, the more
finely ground the flour or starch, the faster it is metabolized into sugar.
 Foods with a higher protein/carb ratio are typically lower GI.  I’ve found
myself becoming more aware of the short term effect high GI foods have on me
- headaches, sugar highs followed by crashes, etc. - I seem to function much
better when eating a higher protein diet and limiting high glycemic food.  A
dietitian or doctor could give you a more in depth explanation of short and
long term problems that this can cause.

Recommendations for low glycemic breads and pastas included some
commercially available items, some recipes, flours, and several websites.
 Below is a summary of each followed by most of the full responses I got.  I
have not been able to try anything new yet, but will let you know if I find
anything I really like.

Commercial Foods:

   - Udi’s whole grain products (these are good, I use them a lot, I’m
   looking for even better ones)
   - Various brown rice pastas (Tinkyada,
   - Ancient Grains and other quinoa pastas
   - Hodgson Mills whole grain GF flour mix
   - Explore Asian Black Bean pasta
   - Andean Dream pastas
   - Wang sweet potato noodles
   - shiratake noodles
   - Explore Asian Organic Mung Bean Fettuchini
   - King Soba noodles

Flours/other ingredients:

   - Oat flours are lower GI than other GF flours.
   - Replacing regular GF flour with brown rice flour and a mix of ground
   nuts and seeds
   - Bean Flours
   - Sourgum flour
   - Teff
   - Almond
   - Flax
   - Millet
   - Buckwheat
   - Amaranth
   - Breads from Anna

Websites:

   - http://glutenfreerecipebox.com - they make custom GF recipes, sounds
   cool!
   - simplysugarandglutenfree.com

   -  www.nourishingmeals.com
   - www.sandwichpetals.com
   - http://www.glutenfreehelp.info/
   - http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/glucomania.html
   - Breads from Anna (no site listed, have not looked for it)
   - the Spunky Coconut (no site listed, have not looked for it)
   - http://www.glucomannan.com/glucomannan.htm

   - http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/20/suppl_5/370S
   - http://gluten-free-reality.blogspot.com/2009/03/flax-bread.html

Recipes:

   - http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-multigrain-miracle-bread-217139
   -
   http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/gluten-free-sandwich-wrap-take-3-a-new-whole-grain-
   version/
   - Primal recipes because they are grain free (primal or paleo or cave man
   diet - whole other discussion, but this interests me as I already eat close
   to this naturally)
   - There are several other recipes embedded in the responses below, I only
   copied the links up here

Sorry for the long email and I hope this is helpful to everyone.  Thank you
to everyone that responded!

-Steve
www.iHateWheat.com <http://www.ihatewheat.com/>  (one of these days I’ll get
back to posting, probably after my wedding!)