From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 12:49:17 -0500

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/7-supermarket-rip-offs

This article on today's Yahoo news may hurt us. It minimizes the need for gluten-free products in the supermarkets.  It totally ignores the fact that there are many people who are gluten-intolerant, in addition to those with celiac.  (Heck, my Labrador Retriever got sick if he ate gluten!)

The only way gf products will become cheaper is through competition (more availability) and having more consumers, not through giving the industry the idea that we're not worth it.

While I agree that buying gf foods just for the sake of it makes no sense, and I am totally against people who jump on a fad and become gluten-free to lose weight, I think this article sends the wrong message.

It is the tone of the article that ticked me off.  I have more than one friend who just doesn't "get it", and this is fuel for those kind of people.  (Similar to the idiot who wrote an article for the Washington Post last year complaining that there are too many gluten-free products on the shelves and being critical of having gf food at ballgames.)

Maybe we should all contact the author of this article.

Lin