Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2010 12:00:58 -0400

  Hi all -

I received a few comments on my post about arepas.  One person noted that arepas
are available in all the supermarkets near Jackson Heights, NY.  Another person
cautioned that neither the popular brand of arepa flour called PAN nor other
brands covered by Goya are guaranteed GF.  He concludes therefore that knowing
the source of the masa de arepa (pre-cooked cornmeal flour) used to make the
arepas is important to the GF community. If the flour used by a arepa restaurant
or manufacturer is not GF, then the arepas are not GF.

Heeding this caution, I have just placed a call to the manufacturer of the brand
of arepa flour that I purchased (La Venezolana) to find out if the product is
GF.  If not, I will discard it.

Anticipating that the results of my search for truly GF arepa flour may be
disappointing, I have located the following recipe from the New York Times which
does _not_ use the pre-cooked arepa flour:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/02/dining/021mrex.html

I also found a recipe for making them the tradition way (this one is Colombian)
using a special type of dried corn: *

http://tinyurl.com/23xb8mw*

I am hoping that the very concept of a corn cake of this type might lead to a
new development in the GF world.  If anyone invents a new corn-based container
for sandwich-fillings, please share!

Alice