From:
Michael Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:39:02 -0500

Last Saturday, I was at our farmers' market in Madison, with all our GF
items.  A man came up & introduced himself, "...I'm a meat inspector,"  I
didn't think to ask if he was county, state or USDA. He went on to tell me a
lady who knows his occupation, asked about Gluten-Free BEEF.  She said while
she knows beef cattle generally graze on grass & may get some corn, what if
they had some wheat in a mixture? Does that mean the beef now has Gluten?
Reason? I must have GF Beef/Pork!

My wife who owns the bakery, was at a GF Fair in an expanded Health Mart
section of a major-chain grocery store. I called her; coincidentally the
store's dietitian happened to be with her. The dietitian said whatever the
cow eats is metabolized & would NOT pass Gluten into the meat; ergo natural
beef is GF!

To be sure, I ran the scenario past our certification organization. They
told me the same story - the meat is safe. However with the smallest degree
of hesitancy: what if the animal just ate some wheat, it then went to
slaughter & a person immediately buys the organ meats. Maybe an old European
recipe calls for "stomach" or uses the intestines for sausage. Could the
cleaned & inspected organ meat contain Gluten?  Far out as that scenario is,
they are going to explore it & get back w/ me. I'll let you know when I find
out, so stay turned for Part II.

--
Michael (Miguel) Marshall
cell: 608.320.9603