From:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 14:26:41 -0400

Here is my VERY late summary on traveling to London, Bath, York, and Stratford.  I found it to be very easy, and to always mention that you are celiac or gluten free, and they all will try very hard to make it work for you....

1) First of all, eating out GF in the UK is generally very easy.  Most restaurants and many pubs which provide food know what they have to do so that Coeliacs can eat there.  Often there will be
one or more dishes which are naturally GF, or they can easily modify a dish (ex. by omitting gravy) to make it GF.  Unfortunately, most Fish and Chip shop will be off limits, but there
are some Fish restaurants which can use a GF batter if asked.

2) Now for some English GF beers, with URLs:
       *Hambleton Ales at http://www.hambletonales.co.uk/ - they brew GFA and GFL (Ale and Lager respectively),
       *Against the Grain at http://www.woldtopbrewery.co.uk/beers/against-the-grain
       *Green's Gluten Free Beers at http://www.glutenfreebeers.co.uk/ - they sell several ales and lagers, but I do not know where these are brewed.  However, you may be able to find their brand in supermarkets more easily than the others.

If you intend to buy food in supermarkets, most of them (ex. Sainsburys, ASDA, Morrisons,
Tesco) have a 'Free From' section where you can buy many GF items, such as bread, rolls,
biscuits, breakfast cereal, pasta etc.

3) http://www.glutenfreemom.com/LondonGlutenFree.html

You will have no problems visiting London.  Click the link above for our tips and restaurants.

4) Do not eat the “Bangers” (sausages) one English lady told me, as they may contain gluten

All in all, I found it easy, and some restaurants even had GF bread.
*******
*******