From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:08:21 -0500
Has anyone played with the Uniden bcd996 scanner using the
RS-232 serial port?
I have been using a BC780 for the past 7 years based on the file
protocols.txt which explains how to communicate with the 780 and
have had good luck with it. If it wasn't for that, it would be
fairly inaccessible.

	I get the impression that the bcd996 probably uses a
similar serial protocol. The bcd996 will do apco25 which is not
a huge deal in North Central Oklahoma, but you never know when
it will be. We do have a state-wide Department of Public Safety
trunking system which is gradually growing so one day, either it
will be re-banded or they will start using digital more often.

	We already have at least one digital user but it is
encrypted so at least the new scanner won't hear all that noise
when that particular service is on.

	In case anyone is curious, the BC780 responds to upper
case commands that are rather turse followed by a carriage
return so, if you want to program channel 42 to 460.325 MHZ, you
would enter

PM042 04603250

followed by the Return and you get back that same string if
successful or ERR if unsuccessful. Other commands give you
answers like OK if successful, ERR if unsuccessful or NG which
means "No Good" which means that it is valid but you can't do
whatever it is now.

	Anyway, I hope the BCD996 is similar enough that I can
really use it.