From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2011 21:04:36 -0500

In answer to my question about my friend who sustained a neck injury
during her colonoscopy, I received a handful of replies.

~One person commented there are alot of stupid doctors out there.

~One person said she has had numerous colonoscopies but is not aware of
ever having a position change during hers.

~One person had 2 colonoscopies in the last few years and was totally
"out" both time.

~One person has had no problems but said she can understand why they
might position your neck "back" and to please post a summary so we can
all be aware of risks.

~One person during her last procedure, was not anesthetized properly,
was awake, aware and felt the entire procedure but could not speak.  She
started out on her side then was flipped onto her back for the the
entire procedure and was not turned or moved after that.  She was not
sure if this is standard procedure or not.  I asked why she could not
speak and she she understood she was given a drug (supposedly) to
prevent you from speaking and maybe prevent moving or thrashing also.  I
asked why she would not be able to speak.  She said she was supposedly
given a drug that prevents you from speaking & maybe prevents moving or
thrashing about.

~One said her daughter had colon surgery recently which reinjured an old
back injury from years ago which had been asymptomatic but showed disc
damage on MRI.  Since this is on record, she has no legal  recourse, but
will have to have back surgery to repair the damage.  The colon surgery
was successful but the patient is now on disability for her back.

Thank you to everyone who replied.  My friend has since talked to an RN
who suggested she may have had a severe reaction to the anesthesia and
thrashed around, requiring them to hold her down.  My friend can't say
for sure except that she can't remember anything except being unable to
move for what seemed a long time.  There was a last minute anesthesia
change because of allergy issues, so we are not sure if they used an
unusual drug or not.

Paula in PA