From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:54:18 -0600

Yes, Continental is discontinuing gluten-free meals on international
flights.  We need to all write to the CEO about this problem - please join
me in writing.

This is what I am e-mailing today to Mr. Larry Kellner, CEO
([log in to unmask]).  Please write your own concerns.  Thanks.

Dear Mr. Kellner,

     I understand that Continental is discontinuing offering gluten-free
meals on international flights.  I really don't understand this new policy.
I understand that you are keeping the vegan selection.  Vegan is usually a
CHOICE.  People needing a gluten-free diet do not have a CHOICE - a
gluten-free diet is the ONLY treatment for celiac disease.

     There are about 2.5 million people with celiac disease in the U.S.,
95% of whom have not been diagnosed yet - so the GF "market" is growing.

Celiac Disease is a genetic, autoimmune, digestive disorder where gluten
damages the surface of the small intestine and promotes inflammation,
resulting in malabsorption of nutrients necessary for the whole body.

     The bottom line is that for long international flights we need to have
safe gluten-free meals available.  Security concerns, custom regulations,
and suitcase weights disallow  food - enough food for both legs of the
flight to and back.  There are also few safe choices after Security to take
gluten-free food onto the plane.

     If I get into some gluten, my symptom is severe diarrhea.  You don't
want me to smell up your bathroom or stop it up!!  Believe me.

     Please re-evaluate this policy in discontinuing the gluten-free meal
option.  You are creating an awful scenario for celiacs traveling abroad.

     Thank you.

Sincerely, Janet Y. Rinehart -- [log in to unmask]; 281-679-7608

Chairman, Houston Celiac Support Group; www.houstonceliacs.org