Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:58:50 -0700
Different manufacturers seem to approach this in different ways. In the
past, Dell has supplied separate driver and application disks. You may
get 4-5 disks with the modem driver and some apps like Roxio being
separate. On a reinstall, you only use the disks you need. Drivers
change of course, so driver disks are of limited use. I've never had any
trouble getting any kind of driver from HP or Dell, who maintain very
good repositories.
The new trend to use recovery partitions or to roll your own recovery
disks seems like a step backward to me.
I installed Win7 on an HP last year (She had lost her HP Vista disks)
and I was pleasantly surprised to see I didn't need to find a single
driver. Win7 comes on a DVD, of course, so I guess they have a lot more
space for drivers
Linux has gotten better as well. I don't do that many installs. but I
haven't had to search for a Linux driver in years.
Some manufacturers claim that crapware allows them to reduce the price
of their machines, but I don't know whether it's true or not.