VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:44:45 -0700
In Windows, you can go into the control panel and into Language and
Regional options to select another keyboard language as your input
method. Then you toggle between the two languages with the left
shift+alt keys. If you have language detection on in Jaws, Jaws should
read things correctly provided the synthesizer supports both languages.

If your student is working in Word, then it's important to go into the
Options menu to turn off language detection in Word. I think the option
is actually called Auto Language or something, but I don't remember
exactly where it is. If you don't disable this, Word may change the
keyboard language, especially if you're working on a document with two
languages.

The student will need to experiment with the keyboard to figure it out,
but it should be much more convenient than memorizing the codes. For
example, when I type Spanish, I just type an apostrophe, then a letter
A, and the computer combines those two characters into á.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]