VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:13:04 -0400
Collin

The first thing to do, when reading a story such as this, is take a deep
breath and place things in proper perspective.  Graham Cluley, in the
conclusion of the news story, I believe hits things on target.
lThe question, for users, is whether or not this actually means anything.
My thought is that, for you and me, this is much ado about nothing as the
info fathered is harmless and may actually enhance the user experience on
a given site or while listening to a given type of audio.  It isn't being
used to compromise you in any way or to steal from your credit card,
checking account, whatever.

Instinctively, folks don't like being tracked -- I understand this.
However, it is happening every day and if you use a credit card, a
shopper's card at a grocery store, use a cell or landline phone, post
email, send text msgs, twitter, file a tax return, apply for anything, et
al et al, you are being tracked.
I worry about tracking if the intent is to steal something from me;
otherwise, it is a part of contemporary life which, more often than not,
makes things simpler for us.
After all, a cookie, be it flash or otherwise, will more often than not
simplify my use of a site the next time I come to it as it remembers
things.
The time it may become a hindrance, as pointed out on another list, is
when it triggers a setting that may interfere with someting ie; preventing
me playing something more than xx times in yy time.

So relax, consider yourself more well-informed as you likely never heard
of flash cookies until this news story, and continue doing what you have
been doing.

God's answers are wiser than our prayerss.

--unknown

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]