From:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:42:05 +0000

I agree with others that the CPK pizzas are delicious! I had my first one two weekends ago and my second one this past weekend.

A word of WARNING though:  The gluten-free crust is thin and not puffy (I think it looks a bit like a giant round saltine cracker). If you order the gluten-free crust and get a puffy and/or thick crust, ask the server to double-check with the kitchen that they gave you a gluten-free crust.

For my first pizza experience at CPK, we ordered two separate pizzas, one gluten-free, one regular. So when the pizzas came out I was very confident that I had received the gluten-free crust as it looked quite different from the other. However, for my second pizza experience, I specifically ordered the gluten-free crust and the server repeated it back to me, but when the order came out the crust looked thicker and puffy. I asked the server to double-check with the kitchen because it didn't look the same as the previous week's pizza crust (and I did not have another pizza to compare it to this time). She did so and returned apologizing profusely because they had indeed given me a regular crust. They made my correct pizza immediately and it was as delicious as the previous one. Had I not had the gluten-free crust previously, I would have happily and heartily eaten the pizza... and within an hour I would have been paying for it physically.

I will be taking the survey on the receipt and politely but strongly expressing my concern, acknowledging that: I understand that this is a new thing for them; that I am beyond thrilled that they have taken on the gluten-free pizza dough challenge and provided us with a delicious pizza experience; but that I would like for them to make it extra clear to their managers, servers and kitchen staff that for most people this is not a lifestyle choice but a health choice and while we know we risk cross-contamination when we choose to eat out in a non-dedicated facility (especially a pizza place!) we do expect to be served the correct crust, especially since we don't know the difference unless we have seen the correct one before.

My lesson learned:  The first time I order a gluten-free item from any non-dedicated restaurant I am going to ask the server to double-check with the kitchen that the item was correctly made. If it's something like the pizza dough, where it is obviously different from the regular dough, then I will know what to look for the next time and won't need to ask (although for some items it's probably best and safest to always ask, certainly depending on one's own sensitivity and risk-tolerance).

I encourage every gluten-free pizza lover near a CPK to try the pizza - making sure you get the right crust of course! And if you like it, which I think you will, take the survey (or call or e-mail them) to let them know so that they will continue to carry it. I even suggested in the survey after my first pizza that they also turn the dough into a sort of focaccia so we can enjoy their awesome sandwiches as well, as I think the dough would work great as a sandwich base.

Cheers,
Tamara